A Friendly Reminder
It is wise to reserve total administrator privileges (sometimes referred to as “Super Admin”) for only those who absolutely require it to carry out their job duties. We recommend that you limit this role to one primary admin (who oversees the day-to-day use of the VT in your organization), and one backup admin (who will be able to step in if the primary admin is no longer capable of carrying out their role)
Before establishing your new users, it’s important to define roles for each level of your organization. The VT allows you to clearly define individual permissions as they relate to many functions of the Virtual Terminal. Below is an example of just how customized you can make your roles.
- Admin- Access to the full scope of functions within the VT.
- Executive- Access to reporting and admin access to settings, but with no need to process transactions, that is selectively turned off.
- Sales Manager- Access to Transactions, Customers, and Reporting, as well as limited access to settings (can view and edit users, but cannot delete users or manage roles).
- Supervisor- Access to Transactions and Customers, but cannot access reporting or settings.
- Sales Associate- Access only to Transactions, and can only perform refunds if less than $600. Can add a recurring bill, but cannot edit or delete without supervisor approval.
- Trainee- Limited access to transactions only. Only able to process individual sales. Cannot initiate a refund of any amount, and cannot add edit or modify recurring billing.
To access Role Settings:
- Log into your VT, and click Admin in the top menu.
- On the Admin Screen, under the Users section, click on Roles
- First-time users will see a preloaded role titled “Merchant Admin”.
Create a Role
The default “Merchant Admin” user has total access the Virtual Terminal. To begin establishing new roles:
- Click Duplicate to next to “Merchant Admin” to create a new role profile, the settings window will come up.
- Configure the Role Name (will default to “Merchant Admin Copy”)
- To select a specific screen for which a user is taken to upon login, you can do so with the First Screen Default dropdown. (example: sales associates can be taken directly to the Process a Card screen, and users in accounting can be taken directly to Reporting)
- Under Permissions, configure the role permissions by unchecking the items you wish to limit access to. The green check mark means that function will be accessible.
- Click Save Changes
Below are the options you can enable/disable when configuring each role, and what each setting affects-
By Enabling the Transactions Category, you enable your employees to do various things with Transactions
- Single [Sales] –Primary checkbox allows the user to process single transactions, and the subcategories grant or limit further access:
- Sales – This allows a Role User to run single sales (not Recurring billing).
- Refunds/Void up to:$XXXX.XX amount – Allows a Role User to run refunds/voids. This can be further customized to have a limit (Example: Sales Associates can refund transactions $500.00 or less autonomously, but refunds of $500.01+ must be carried out by a Supervisor role)
- Recurring Billing – Primary checkbox allows the user to view recurring bills, and the subcategories grant or limit further access.
- Add – Ability to run Recurring Bills.
- Edit – Ability to edit Recurring Bills.
- Delete – Ability to delete Recurring Bills.
- Submit Batch – if your organization opts to manually close your batches (in lieu of the auto-batch functionality found under Admin > Terminal Settings), a checkbox here will grant the capability for the users of this selected role to perform the manual batch close function.
Similar to the transaction configurations, the primary check box sets the ability to access the customer list, and subcategories grant or limit more specific access.
Users will have access to these reports bases on your selections.
- Recurring Billing
By enabling a User Category with Admin Role Settings, you generally allow various admin changes to take place. For Example, you allow this role to create/edit/delete users or products and have the ability to request different setups with ClearGate. You also gain access to the AdminCategory link on the VT Top Menu.
- General Category
- General Settings – Set Auto Batch time and request new device.
- Branding – Make various adjustments to the way a receipt prints and looks, as well as set a logo!
- Adjust Shipping & Tax Rates – Make adjustments to shipping/Tax Rates
- Validated Devices – Edit or remove validated Devices from the account.
- 3rd Party API – Allows configuration of 3rd Party API devices.
- Products Category
- Add/Edit/Deletion of Products and associated information. You can see further info on the Adding Products to VT page.
- Bulk Product Upload to VT using a spreadsheet.
- Add/Edit/Deletion of Users
- Add/Edit/Delete/Manage User Roles.
- Access to view flagged transactions and can make adjustments to Risk/Fraud Settings.
- Add determines whether a user can create new support tickets
- Edit determines whether a user can edit existing and reply to an ongoing ticket.